Thursday, May 27, 2010

Happy Birthday Space Mountain

Sorry for this post being late, I didn't realize I had so much Space Mountain grand opening stuff.

"Space Mountain opened in 1977, invigorating a decade-old Tomorrowland as Disneyland's second roller coaster. The idea for Anaheim's ride originated in the mid 1960s during Walt Disney's lifetime as a way to energize the aging Tomorrowland. The project was shelved until the success of Space Mountain in Florida. After two years of construction, the $20 million complex opened May 27 including the roller coaster, 1,100-seat Space Stage, 670-seat Space Place (fast food restaurant) and Starcade". (source: wikipedia.org)

I was working at Disneyland in the Engineering department during the opening celebration. Sneaking out with my camera I captured the following images. Below is Disney CEO Card Walker as M/C over the celebration with Mercury Astronaut Alan Shepard to his right and Disneyland Ambassador Susan Donald to his left.


Next is a view of the original Mercury astronauts minus Virgil "Gus" Grissom who died in 1967 along with Edward White and Roger Chaffee aboard Apollo 1. Mrs. Grissom stood in his place.


Next is the entrance and warning sign in front; notice how clean everything looks.


Below is an image of the Space Place snack bar located to the right of the stage.


Next is the program handed out during the ceremony.


As an employee we celebrated the opening with a Cast Member pre-opening party. I'll have to save these images for another time as I have more than I knew I had, besides; it gives me a topic for another post.

No comments: