Monday, May 18, 2009

Latest Aquisition 3

I decided to take a break from my site and blog for a while, I didn't realize it had been this long. Last Saturday I attended a mini reunion of the Disneyland Alumni club at the Holiday Inn in Anaheim. While leaving we passed the gift shop and of course had to stop and look at the postcard rack. I came across this interesting aerial view of the Park. It wasn't until I got home that I took a good look at it. It's not a recent image; but when was it taken?

I first focused on the obvious, Tomorrowland, and noticed the Peoplemovers were still in operation. Therefore it must have been taken between 1967 and 1995. Taking a closer look I noticed they were white with painted stripes which narrowed down the timeline between 1987 and 1995. I then turned my attention to it's a Small World's pastel facade but couldn't find a timeline when it was painted these colors so I moved on. Tom Sawyer's island caught my eye next. I beleive that's the Fantasmic stage out by Laffite's Tavern. Knowing that Fantasmic began in 1992 further narrowed the timeline between 1992 and 1995. This is what makes collecting Disneyland postcards interesting. Not only are we, as collectors, collecting Disneyland artifacts but we're also preserving moments in the Park's history.

3 comments:

Thufer said...

What a wonderful post. thanks for your influence on my hobby of collecting post cards of the park as well.

Major Pepperidge said...

I like these "non-official" aerial cards, nice work on figuring out a rough date. I have some others that don't have enough clues for me to get very accurate.

Minako said...

Hi... just happen to cross your site...

Im planning to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong Disney this Christmas. Hoho and I found some stuffs from Hong Kong Disneyland here as well:
disneycloth.cwahi.net

I will definitely take tones of photos there!!!